Posted on 16/10/2018
Quarterly Update of Regional Events
- We will be hosting Succession Planning workshops this fall, stay tuned for places, times, etc or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Port Development in the Strait of Canso continues to be a priority for ESREN and our partners in regional economic development. One of the goals of the Strait of Canso working group has been to increase accessibility of reports and studies previously complied on the Strait of Canso to the public. They can be accessed at: Strait of Canso Studies
- ESREN in partnership with the County of Antigonish and Paqtnkek are planning an economic forum for later November, 2018. The discussion will be focused on how First Nations’s economic development can align with the regional economic development opportunities and collaborate through the region.
- Phase II of Investment Readiness will be focused on working with our Municipal Partners to ensure we are ready for economic development. To identify what barriers we have to overcome to attract businesses.
- A study to identify restructuring and improvement planning practices to increase business traffic on Main Street in Sherbooke to include historic Sherbrooke Village has been funded by the province.
- The Port Hawkesbury Ceilidh Market is having a successful first year and is now working towards Phase II. This will include skill development and innovation such as e-commerce upgrades for vendors.
- BusinessNow! Program continues to be a success in identifying challenges and opportunities thru business visits. If you would like to discuss any concerns please contact us and we can schedule a visit with your business. Please email email@example.com
- Both St.FX and NSCC are joining forces with Applied Research in forming a committee. We first identify a manufacturing business who could benefit from AR and engage them with the AR Committee. They then work with each business to find ways to improve the product.
- A tourism strategy committee has been formed for the Guysborough, St. Mary’s and Mulgrave area. We will be working with ACOA to acquire funding to ensure this process is successful, This committee will meet regularly and will include DEANS (Destination Eastern and Northumberland Shores) marketing committee. If you are interested in being a part of this committee, please send your intent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In partnership with Antigonish Town & County, a consultant was hired to complete an assessment of economic opportunities in those areas. As well to improve the quality of the economic date for Antigonish.
- ESREN is facilitating a committee focusing on bringing an Enterprise Center to Antigonish. We will continue to work on bringing more business partners under one roof.
- We are currently working with DevelopNS to hire staff to be located in our regions.
- Recent changes to the business start up registration fees and wait times have been announced by the Province. The shorter wait times will start immediately and the reduction in Incorporation fees with come into effect in January 2018. You can access this information at:Introducing the Lowest Incorporation Fees in the Country